This church and the annexed monastery were built by the nuns who once lived in the nearby church of St Andrea a Nilo. There was no enough room for them in the old residence, so they occupied a palace belonging to Riccardo Filangieri, which became part of the new monastery. The new churchwas completed by Giovan Francesco di Palma in 1535, and the cloisters were built by Vincenzo della Monica, who planned also the cloisters of San Marcellino e Festo and St Gregorio Armeno. In 1824 the nuns moved to this last church, because they were sensibly diminished in number. Since that year on the monastery of Donnaromita became an orphan-asylum and finally was acquired by the University of Naples for the department of chemistry and biology.